Legal Service Areas

The Office of University Counsel provides advice to the University on a variety of legal issues. This legal advice and counsel covers an extremely wide variety of subject matters. Attorneys and staff include specialists who have unique skills and training related to specific subject matters, as well as “generalists” who are well versed in multiple areas of law and policy.

There are numerous other types of legal work that come into the Office of University Counsel. The below list of practice areas is designed to help you categorize your issue. By selecting one of the areas in the list, you can read more information specific to that topic. You may not know which attorney is best suited to assist with your particular legal issue. Feel free to contact an attorney with whom you have previously dealt, and you will be referred as necessary, or call the main number for the Office of University Counsel on your campus for assistance.

The attorneys in the office do not provide legal services to faculty, staff or students in their personal matters. Nor do they represent or advise employees with claims against the University. Students with personal legal issues should contact Student Legal Services at UI at Chicago or UI at Urbana-Champaign.

Last item for navigation