Requests for Legal Counsel

University units that need legal advice should first consult the Office of University Counsel on their campus for assistance. If University Counsel determines that use of outside counsel is required, then University Counsel will procure outside legal services on the unit's behalf and manage the use of those services.

Units are not permitted to procure outside legal services directly. Only the Office of University Counsel may procure services from law firms. The University's procurement of legal services must comply with the Illinois Procurement Code, University policy and the state rules governing attorney professional conduct. The Office of University Counsel will assist units in defining their legal needs and identifying the law firm best suited to provide the necessary advice. A University staff attorney will take the necessary steps to engage a law firm in accordance with state laws and University policies and will oversee and approve the legal work performed by outside counsel.

Depending upon the nature of the legal work, units may be responsible to pay for outside legal services performed on their behalf.