The Office of University Counsel (the Office) has implemented a balanced and integrated approach to client services that provides a seamless operation across the Office. This happens through sharing of resources, information, work product and best practices allowing the Office to achieve efficient results by leveraging the attorneys’ knowledge through this internal network.

Attorneys provide timely legal guidance on interpretation of, and continuing compliance with, various State statutes and Board of Trustees policies, including the University of Illinois Act, University of Illinois Trustees Act, Board of Trustees Bylaws, University Statutes, University General Rules, Open Meetings Act (OMA), Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), State Officials and Employees Ethics Act, and other Federal and State regulations related to Board of Trustees governance. Advice is also provided by the Office to the Board of Trustees, the President, Chancellors, and other senior administrators on many of the items presented to the Board of Trustees for its consideration. The University Counsel advises the Board of Trustees at all its meetings regarding legal issues that may arise and serves as Parliamentarian at Board of Trustees and committee meetings. The University Counsel (or his designee) also participates in planning/strategy discussions concerning Board of Trustees governance issues.

There are numerous other types of legal work that come into the Office. The list of practice areas is designed to help you categorize your issue. You may not know which attorney is best suited to assist with your particular legal issue. Feel free to contact an attorney with whom you have previously dealt, and you will be referred as necessary, or call the main number for the Office of University Counsel on your campus for assistance.

The attorneys in the office do not provide legal services to faculty, staff or students in their personal matters. Nor do they represent or advise employees with claims against the University. Students with personal legal issues should contact Student Legal Services at UI at Chicago or UI at Urbana-Champaign.

Last item for navigation