United States export and trade regulations impose controls over numerous University activities, including the performance of certain research. For example, the transfer of export-controlled information or source code to a foreign national in the U.S. is a deemed export and may require an export license. The consequences of violating the regulations are potentially extremely severe, and can be extended to the involved individuals as well as to the University.
The Office of University Counsel advises University and campus units on U.S. export and trade laws and regulations and related University policies. University attorneys provide trainings and work with campus export control officials and administrators who assist University units and employees in minimizing the impact of export and trade regulations on their activities and in complying with any applicable regulations. All export control license applications are coordinated through campus export control officials and the Office of University Counsel.
A copy of a power point presentation on the fundamentals of export controls and trade sanctions can be found here.
For additional University of Illinois and U.S. Government information, see the resources below:
Additional Tools and Guidance for UI Administrators
- End Use Form
- Excluded Parties List Check Form
- Export Controls Flow Chart UI Technology Transfer
- Fundamental Research Exclusion – Definition and Explanation
- Guidance on How to Perform Online List Checks
- Guidance re Purchasing Contracts
- Is Your Item Export-Controlled?
- Laptop Security
- Research Administrators’ Checklist
- Template Technology Control Plan
- University Export Issues Chart
- What are “Military Items?”
- Export Administration Regulations (EAR)
If you need additional guidance or if you think a UI activity may need an export license, contact your campus official responsible for export control compliance or the Office of University Counsel. The campus officials responsible for export control compliance are:
- Urbana: Samuel P. Padilla, Export Compliance Officer, Office of Sponsored Programs firstname.lastname@example.org (See also: http://research.illinois.edu/regulatory-compliance-safety/policy-export-control.)
- UIC: Beth W. Seaton, Director of Sponsored Projects, Office of Research Services, email@example.com (See also: http://tigger.uic.edu/depts/ovcr/research/proposals/exportcontrol/index.shtml.)
- UIS: Rebecca K. Jones, Assistant Director of Grants & Contracts, Vice Chancellor's Office for Academic Affairs, firstname.lastname@example.org